Saturday, January 19, 2008

Would Wii like to Come Out and Play? Maybe After Supper.

CNet Blogger Don Reisinger had a blog entry entitled 'If people buy consoles for software, why is the Wii so popular?', interesting, but I think it's popularity cannot be drilled down to one single reason. I think the more interesting question is 'Why can't Nintendo keep up with demand for the Wii?'.

To that query, here is what I think. I actually think they don't want to meet demand. Huh?!? you say? Bear with me as I explain my theory. Here we go: It's a conspiracy run by Nintendo itself. To them, the lack of supply, serves two purposes. First, and most obvious is the 'you want what you can't have' syndrome. Lack of supply creates more demand. This actually plays into the popularity card very well.

Second and less obvious, is the fact that the people from Nintendo do not want you to have a Wii just yet. Some where down the line they realized that the only way to keep people interested in the console is to keep them busy with a slew of awesome games. Currently has a couple 'Must Have' games but that will not last long with consumers.

Our ADD is causing us to move to the next new thing quickly once we grow tired of something. That is not good if you are trying to make something like the Wii a mainstay of the customers' lives. If customers grow tired of the games available on the Wii, they will buy a new console. Therefore the next time the customer buys a game, they will not be thinking of the Wii when they buy, game over.

So I think Nintendo will wait a little longer until it has a couple more blockbuster games in it's lineup before actually try to 'catch up' with demand for the console. All under the guise of manufacturing issues.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats why I think nintendo is just a trend that will die out soon. I wrote a blog about this too on my site on what I think will happen to nintendo in the future.

And from a source in one of the Game stores here in Guam " They keep 3 units in the back"

Im thinking Scumbridge should take that idea and try it out with there product. Pretent everything is sold out and tell people to wait maybe for a month. They are pretty good in pretending so I dont think they would have a hard time. After all they did pretend that they dint know who owned a fedex box that accidentally came to them. But hey I dont blame them Jhayde-cell and 4-cell looks so alike ... look how the 4 is shaped like a jhayde ...anyways I cant even tell the difference.